One of the things we get asked about the most is recipes. So this week we thought we’d tell you exactly how we bake a delicious giant cupcake! Below is the recipe and instructions for our vanilla giant cupcake.
350g Unsalted Butter
350g Caster Sugar
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
350g Self-raising Flour
100g Plain Flour
You’ll also need a giant cupcake pan. Our favourite is the a silicone Giant Cupcake Mould for shape and ease of use, so the baking method is based on using this particular mould. We use this with a Cake Release, which is used to grease the pan, making the cake easier to remove.
1. Turn the oven to 150 fan oven and grease the giant cupcake pan with the Cake Release
2. Cream together the butter and sugar in a large bowl, using a standalone or hand-held mixer
3. Add the vanilla and the eggs gradually, mixing all of the time, until combined
4. Mix in the flour a spoon full at a time until the mixture is smooth
5. Fill the tins around 3/4 full.
6. Pop in the oven and bake for around 40 minutes total for the top half and an hour total for the bottom half.
7. Insert a skewer and if it comes out clean your cake is cooked, if not return to the oven for a further 5 – 10 minutes or until cooked. If you find your top is a little drier than the bottom adjust time accordingly.
9. Leave the cake in the pan on a cooling rack until cooled
10. Gently peal back the silicone mould. Leave the cake to cool fully for another hour.
I always add sugar syrup onto all my cakes. This is equal parts of boiled water and sugar ( e.g. 100ml water, 100g sugar) Melt the sugar in the boiling water and leave to cool. Drizzle over your cooled cakes to add that little extra moisture.
To make a sticky toffee version, add in 3 tbsp golden syrup and 2 tbsp black treacle. Yum yum!
To make a simple chocolate version, replace the 100g plain flour with 100g cocoa powder.
Love Dani xx